In honor of Valentine’s Day, we asked five local, long-time couples the secret we all want to know: What makes love last?
BRAD & PENNY BROWN, MARRIED 41 YEARS
- Be respectful and support each other’s goals and ambitions.
- Keep dating each other (and look good for each other!)
- Always look for ways to make each other happy, whether small or big.
- Keep life light – joke, play pranks, have fun with each other.
- Go out, even if you are low on money – a cup of coffee, a romantic walk, watch the sunset! Keep life simple and always put each other first.
SHARMILA & KIRAN MEHTA, MARRIED 37 YEARS
- Mutual care and respect.
- Open communication and flexibility.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
- Always focus on the big picture!
- Build on each other’s strengths and not on each other’s weaknesses.
QUINCY & NOCOLA WILLIAMS, MARRIED 27 YEARS
- Genuinely enjoying each other’s company is so important. We have a lot in common, which makes it easy to spend time together. But even when our interests differ, we are always there to offer support.
- You may not always agree, but always have respect for one another. Marriage is hard… you have to work at it to make it successful.
LUIS MEJIA & ROXANN JOHNSTON MEJIA, MARRIED 30 YEARS
- Make plans and never stop dating each other.
- You must be able to laugh together when things go wrong and when things are bad. It creates unity within a crisis and lightens a heavy heart.
- Have patience, understanding, and the ability to carry the load when the other cannot.
- Celebrate the little things, not just the big ones.
JOSEPH JR. & SANDRA MILES, MARRIED 49 YEARS
- Always respect each other’s opinion and trust your partner.
- Communication and faith in God.
- You don’t need to have a plan; you just need each other for your life to form into a relationship of love and respect.
- Treat your wife like a “Queen,” love her and take her on extravagant trips.