St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation Awards 10 Healthcare Scholarships
The St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation recently presented 10 area students with scholarships totaling $180,000. The students were recognized during a reception held May 23. “We were truly impressed by all of the applicants this year,” Rick Tepel, chair of the Foundation scholarship committee said. “It is inspiring to meet all of the candidates and learn about their dreams and aspirations.”
Receiving the scholarships this year were:
• Bailey Schneider of Mechanicsville, speech-language pathology, Appalachian State
• Dana King of Lusby, nursing, Salisbury University
• Brenna Duke, of Hollywood, nursing, University of Mount Union
• Jordan Janshuk of Mechanicsville, nursing, College of Southern Maryland
• Jessica Thompson of Hollywood, nursing, Lynchburg College
• Kylee Wickline of Callaway, nursing, York College of Pennsylvania
• Cassie Oliver of Hollywood, occupational therapy, Misericordia University
• Sydney Guthrie of California, occupational therapy, Towson University
• Megan Long of Mechanicsville, physical therapy, Virginia Commonwealth University
• Hayley Mesmer of Lexington Park, physical therapy, St. Francis University
The Foundation has been presenting scholarships to area graduates since 2001 and including this year’s recipients, it has awarded 142 scholarships. Funds for the scholarships are raised through the Foundation’s annual Gala held each November. This year’s gala, Diamonds & Pearls: Cheers to 30 Years, will be held Nov. 17 at the Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department’s Social Hall. Many former recipients are currently employees of MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital.
“The Foundation believes all of this year’s recipients will play an important role in the future of health care in our community,” Tepel said.
Interested in a Healthcare Career?
MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital recognizes the critical need for specially trained associates. The hospital has designed a scholarship program for individuals who seek an educational degree, license or certification that is essential to the care of our patients. MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital provides scholarships in return for service for critical positions, such as registered nurses, imaging technologists, physical therapists, respiratory therapists, medical records coders, lab technologists and pharmacists, among other positions.
Through a grant with the Health Services Cost Review Commission, the hospital also funds scholarships for registered nurses who wish to complete their bachelor’s degrees in nursing. Since 2001, the St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation has been awarding scholarships to Southern Maryland candidates interested in pursuing a healthcare career. The Foundation accepts applications from individuals interested not only in nursing, but also in the growing field of allied health. These allied health professionals are involved in many aspects of health care, including, but not limited to:
• Physical, occupational and speech therapy
• Respiratory therapy
• Laboratory technology
Each of the scholarships awarded cover payment for tuition, books and fees associated with the degree or certification. Applications for the Foundation Scholarship are available and can be picked up in the hospital’s Human Resources Department or downloaded at www.medstarstmarys.org/careers/healthcare-scholarships
Scholarship Application Requirements:
• The Foundation scholarship is only for residents of Southern Maryland: St. Mary’s, Charles and Calvert counties.
• You must have at least a 3.0 high school GPA if applying within four years of high school graduation.
• If it has been more than four years since high school graduation, please submit an ACT score or proof of degree from another school. (This program is not exclusively focusing on high-school aged students; many receive a scholarship as a second career.)
• In return for receiving the scholarship, recipients will commit to working at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital.
For more information on the scholarship program, please call the MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Human Resources Department at 301-475-6018.